A kiss under the American mistletoe is completely safe! Ingestion can cause stomach upset, so hang it up high and save the lips for smooching.
It’s a long-thought legend that poinsettias are poison. While the sap is considered a skin irritant, poinsettias are not toxic.
While the foliage is probably fine, holly berries are quite toxic; it only takes a few berries to cause symptoms of vomiting and diarrhea. Keep holly away from pets and children.
The Christmas Cactus is completely safe! Enjoy the festive ambiance of its holiday blooms.
The European mistletoe is not sold in the United States—for good reason! The berries on this mistletoe are quite toxic; they will cause vomiting and, in severe cases, death.
While Christmas trees are not poisonous, we feel it’s important to point out the risk of needle ingestion. While it is unlikely, tree needles can get caught in the throat and become lodged, causing risk of infection and need for removal. Clean up fallen needles and keep them away from pets and young children.